Town of Miami Lakes Social Icons
  • Planning and Zoning in Miami Lakes

In an effort to help you find what you need from our website as quickly as possible, we have created this section answering the most common questions we receive from our residents.

Where can I find zoning district information for a property?

There are several ways to determine the zoning district applicable to a property and to find the regulations that apply. First, you can use our interactive 'Find My Zoning' mapping application, which will open a mapping application. Once you use the tools to determine the zoning, a link will be provided that will take you to the applicable regulations on municode.com. You may also call the Planning and Zoning Department at 305-364-6100 or email pz@miamilakes-fl.gov.

Where can I find the Zoning Map?

You can view or download the Official Zoning Map pdf here (687 KB) .

Do I need a Certificate of Use (CU)? How can I get one?

If you are a business owner, you must have a Certificate of Use (CU). If need to get a CU, you may apply through the Building Department. Once a CU has been obtained, you must apply for a Business Tax Receipt (BTR) through Code Compliance.

Where can I find the legal description or folio number for a property?

The legal description for a particular property can be found on the Miami-Dade County Property Appraiser's website at http://miamidade.gov/wps/portal/Main/home. Click on "Property Search" on the left-hand side of the screen under "Online Services TOP 10". At the bottom of the screen click on "New Search". At the top, left-hand side of the screen in the "Search" box, type in the Folio Number, Property Address, or Owner's Name. Then click on the magnifying glass icon next to the "Search" box. The following screen will display information about the property.

Is my property located within a floodplain?

Visit https://msc.fema.gov to find out if a property is located within a floodplain.

When, where and how often does the Planning and Zoning Board meet?

The Planning and Zoning Board meets on the third Tuesday of each month (unless there are no items on the agenda) at 6:30 PM in the Council Chambers at Town Hall, 6601 Main Street. Find out more about the Planning and Zoning Board here.

Where can I find information regarding building setbacks and other development requirements?

The Town of Miami Lakes Land Development Code can be found here.

What types of uses are allowed in my zoning district?

Permitted, conditional, and accessory uses for the single-family and townhouse (RU), multi-family (RM) agricultural (AU) zoning districts can be found in the Town's Land Development Code. While the online version of the Land Development Code has not yet been updated to include the Office (RO), Business (BU) and Industrial (IU) zoning districts, you may email the Planning and Zoning Department at pz@miamilakes-fl.gov to receive a matrix identifying permitted, conditional, and accessory uses in these districts.

How can I obtain a Zoning Verification Letter?

A Zoning Verification Letter is obtained by completing a Zoning Verification Letter Application and attaching a letter with specific questions regarding the property. You will receive a written response with the information requested. There is a $100 fee for each residential folio and a $150 fee for each non-residential folio. Typical questions include, but are not limited to: current zoning and land use designation; previous site plan approvals; previous variances; is the parcel size and configuration consistent with zoning requirements? Are there any non-conforming uses or improvements on the property (you may need to provide a survey); what are the required setbacks on the property?; number and  type of signs allowed; is an assisted living facility allowed?; etc.

What are the requirements for expanding my driveway?

Section 13-1508 of the Land Development Code addresses driveways for single-family and two-family residences. Basically, the driveway requirements for a single-family or two-family residence are:
  • The maximum driveway approach width is 20 feet.
  • Paved driveway areas (excluding approaches) for any garage, including three-car garages, are limited to a maximum of 30 feet.
  • Driveways and parking spaces in the front and side yards must be set back five feet from an interior side property line. For zero-lot line homes, this setback is zero feet from the zero lot line side and four feet from the opposite side. For all corner lots, driveways and parking spaces located in the front and side yards must meet the street side setback requirement for main structure, except to cross the setback as needed to access a garage from the street. Driveways are otherwise not permitted in the side yard.
  • On corner properties when a driveway is located perpendicular to a side facing the street, the driveway or parking space must be set back 20 feet from both the front and rear property lines.
  • Driveways and parking spaces parallel to a front property line or side property line facing a street must be set back at least five feet from the front property line or street-facing side property line.
  • Driveways may be affected by the impervious coverage requirements (see question below).

What are the zoning requirements for accessory structures (swimming pools, sheds, etc.) on my property?

Requirements for accessory structures in residential zoning districts can be found in Sections 13-1502, 13-1503, 13-1507 and 13-1512 of the Land Development Code.

What is a variance and how do I apply for one?

Generally, a variance is a relaxation of the terms of the Land Development Code, for regulations such as setbacks, lot width, street frontage, lot coverage, landscape or open space requirements, height limits, fences and walls, signs, off-street parking, flood regulations, etc.

In limited cases, an administrative variance may be granted by staff, generally for setbacks and fence/wall heights, for no more than 12 inches aggregate. All other variances must be granted at a public hearing.

For information or assistance with the variance process, call or email Planning and Zoning at 305-364-6100 or pz@miamilakes-fl.gov.

How Do I apply for a Special Event Permit?

To apply for a special event permit, contact Planning and Zoning at 305-364-6100 or pz@miamilakes-fl.gov.

How can I apply for a garage sale permit?

To apply online for a garage sale permit, click here. You may also apply for a garage sale permit at Town Hall. Each property is allowed four garage sales per year.

Can I store my boat on my property?

Section 13-1606 of the Code addresses the storage of boats and watercraft for properties in the Town of Miami Lakes as follows:
  • In residential zoning districts, boats may only be stored in a garage with the garage door fully closed. Certain boats that were stored in yards before the incorporation of the Town may continue to be stored, so long as they were registered with the Town by April 18, 2005. Contact Planning and Zoning for more information.
  • Temporary parking (less than 24 hours) of boats in front of home is permitted for routine cleaning, loading or unloading while the boat is hitched to an operable motor vehicle with a permanent valid license tag. Under no circumstances shall a boat be parked in the public right-of-way, including on swales or sidewalks.
  • Owners of lakefront and canal-front properties may keep no more than two functional watercrafts, appropriate for that lake or canal, on the shoreline in the rear yard. No maintenance or repair of watercraft is permitted outside of a garage.

How do I contact my Homeowner's Association (HOA)? Where can I find the covenants/restrictions for my subdivision?

The Town of Miami Lakes has some information on file for HOAs. Please contact Planning and Zoning at 305-364-6100 or pz@miamilakes-fl.gov for more information.

Town of Miami Lakes Marketplace Directory