• howDoI.jpg
How Do I?

In an effort to help you find what you need from our website as quickly as possible, we have created this section answering the most common questions we receive from our residents.


I am interested in working for the Town, where can I get more information?

All employment opportunities with the Town are listed within the Human Resources section.

What is the status of my lien search request?

Lien Search Request for properties may be obtained by clicking here or may be requested in writing by submitting a written request, along with payment, to:

Office of the Town Clerk
Gina M. Inguanzo, Town Clerk
Town of Miami Lakes
6601 Main Street
Miami Lakes, FL 33014

The written request should list the address and folio number of the subject property. There is a charge of $50.00 per address per folio for a processing time of 3-10 business days and an optional expedite fee of $100 for 2 business days. Checks should be made payable to: Town of Miami Lakes. The approximate lien search request completion time is 10 business days from the date of receipt.

If you have any further questions, please contact Lisandra Alfonso at alfonsol@miamilakes-fl.gov.

Building Department

How do I register my alarm?

The alarm registration is done through the Town of Miami Lakes Crywolf False Alarm Prevention and Administration site, available here.

How do I get a Building Permit?

Building permits are issued in the name of the property owner(s) or licensed contractors performing the work.

Generally, you will need the following:

Building Permit Application
2 sets of plans
2 set of structural calculations
3 sets of energy calculations
2 copies of property survey
Impact Fees, Department of Environmental Resource Management, Fire Dept., and Special Inspector forms (if required)

If the size of the job is on a large scale, then other materials may be required. For any issues or concerns, please call the Building Department Office at (305) 827-4015.

Why is a Building Permit required?

A building permit is necessary to ensure the welfare and safety of the public, as mandated by Florida Statutes and the Florida Building Code. The property owner is responsible for securing building permits prior to the commencement of any work. Working without a permit is illegal and can result in citations and fines. The owner is ultimately responsible for any and all work performed at their property.

How do I check the status of my Building Permit?

An status can be viewed through our eTRAKit portal, which allows you to perform many online operations.

How can I schedule an inspection?

An inspection can be scheduled through our eTRAKit portal, which allows you to perform many online operations. You can also schedule an inspection by calling the Building Department at (305) 827-4015.

When is it necessary to apply for a Building Permit?

In accordance with Section 105.1 of the Florida Building Code, Any owner, authorized agent, or contractor who desires to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert, or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by the Technical Codes, or cause any such work to be done, shall prepare an application for the Building Official first, and then obtain the required permit for the work.

A permit ensures the consumer that the work is being done properly and with the appropriate materials. A licensed contractor is required to obtain permits. General maintenance and repairs exceeding $500 in labor and materials for projects modifying a building's existing structure in any way requires a permit.

Here is a list of common projects and the required permits associated with them:

New Pool: Building, Electrical and Plumbing permits
Fence: Building permit
Windows/Doors: Building permit (If they are not impact resistance, then hurricane shutters are required)
Shutters: Building permit (If shutters are automatic, then an Electrical permit is required as well)
Roof: Building permit
Driveways/Approaches: Building and Public Works permits
Gutters: Building permit
Alarm Installation: Electrical permit

If you still have any questions or concerns, please contact the Miami Lakes Building Department at (305) 827-4015.

How do I obtain a Business Tax Receipt (Occupation License)?

The application and fee listings for occupational licenses can be found through our eTRAKit portal, which allows you to perform many online operations.

General Questions

When do town meetings usually take place?

General council meetings are held the second Tuesday of every month at 7:00PM. Zoning meetings are held the third Tuesday of every month at 7:00PM. The town calendar, located in the Town of Miami Lakes website, under the Events tab, has all the information concerning any other special town meetings.

Where are the Town Council meetings held?

Town Council meetings are held in the Town Council Chambers, located at:

Town of Miami Lakes
6601 Main Street
Miami Lakes, FL 33014

I am interested in the Miami Lakes Moover service, where can I get more information?

For the Moover map, hours, and additional information, please click here

What are the hours of operation for Town Hall?

Town Hall working hours are from 8:30 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. - Monday thru Friday

The Building Department working hours from 8:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M. - Monday thru Friday.