Local business as defined in the Section 1 of Ordinance 12-142 my be entitled to a preference for competitive solicitations in excess of $5,000 based on the following:
- Qualifications. A Bidder/Proposer having a business located within the boundaries of the Town from which goods or services will be furnished may be entitled to preference where it meets the following requirements:
- Bidder/Proposer shall possess a current business tax receipt and certificate of use issued at least six (6) months prior to the issuance of the solicitation.
- At least ten percent (10%) of the Bidder/Proposer workforce must reside in the Town prior to the issuance of the solicitation.
- Where the Bidder/Proposer has multiple places of business the goods or services shall be provided solely from the place of business located in the Town of Miami Lakes.
- Bidder/Proposer seeking Local Preference shall have the burden of proof to demonstrate that it qualifies for the preference Bidder/Proposer must submit with its Bidder/Proposal the Town's Local Preference Form ("Form"). Failure to provide the Form or a complete Form at the time of submission or provide additional information requested by the Town it deems necessary to determine eligibility shall result in rejection of the request for Local Preference.
- Exemptions to Local Preference
- Upon written justification of the Town Manager and approved by the Town Council for solicitations which are subject to award by the Town Council.
- Procurement of goods/services which include funding from other entities that preclude the application of the Town's Local Preference.
- Single Source Emergency Cooperative and On-Line Procurements as defined by this Ordinance.
- Procurements exempt from the Procurement Code.
- Awards Based Solely on Price. The lowest Bidder who is entitled to preference under the Local Preference provisions of this Ordinance who is within five percent (5%) of the lowest responsive and responsible Bidder ("Lowest Bidder") who is not entitled to preference and is determined to be responsive and responsible shall be provided the opportunity to offer a price that must be at least five percent (5%) less than the Lowest Bidder. Such Bidder upon providing written confirmation providing a price meeting this requirement shall be considered the lowest responsive and responsible Bidder.
- Awards Based Solely on Qualifications. A Proposer entitled to preference under the Local Preference provision of this Ordinance shall have an additional five (5) points or five percent (5%) ofthe total points, whichever is less, added to its total point score received during the evaluation process.
- Awards Based on Qualifications and Price. In addition to the preference the Proposer may be entitled to under (2) above the Proposer shall be entitled to an additional three (3) points or three percent (3%) of the total points allocated for the price components whichever is less added to its total point score received during the evaluation process.
Click here to download the document Local Preference Form (767 KB)